twitter
    I've Gone-a-Viking; find out where!

Blogging a-Viking

I am for some reason banned from chatting on Facebook. I've no idea why. It's rather Orwellian because they won't tell you what you did and they won't tell you how long the ban will last. I don't know if somebody got my password and did something naughty and I can't even appeal their decision. It's like being thrown in prison and never being told why.

It's fascist, is what it is, and I would love to tell Facebook they're now on my shit list but they've isolated themselves in their own little reality bottle that isolates them from the consequences of their decision-making paradigm (which could be the roll of dice as far as I know).

It's frustrating because I was finally figuring the place out and have some good liberal friends there as well as family. Now I just have to wait, go back and check periodically and restrain my frustration at not being able to participate in the discussions taking place. And I thought old AOL was bad. Little did I know that technology doesn't free us from tyranny, it only tightens the grip of the Dark Side.

Speaking of which, looks like I'll finally have to upgrade my gaming system. I bought a refurbished XBox about six years ago and it's still going strong. My son is using it now more than me. But I found out from Gamestop today that they won't be buying back anymore XBox games after Monday and once they're sold out, they won't be getting any more in. Terrible! I bought this thing to play Halo on and never bought Halo (because it was so expensive) and now I'm going to be forced to buy that to justify the initial outlay! It's madness.

Which leads me to madness. I saw the vote on the DeMint Amdt. No. 189 "To allow the free exercise of religion at institutions of higher education that receive funding under section 803 of division." It failed by a vote of 43-54 but that is not nearly a big enough defeat. To think the damn thing nearly got an even vote. And my own Democratic Senator shoved a knife up my ass and gave it a twist with his Yea vote. Evan Bayh, you suck.

I wrote the bastard and told him that I'd be carefully tracking Senate votes for the next two years and that I would use my own vote appropriately next election. Yes, I'll hold this against him. He'd best do something useful to redeem himself. They all better. Because at this point, no matter who we elect its just more of the same. Yes, I'm saying it again: It's time for change again.

I'm in the kind of mood that would have sent my ancestors a-Viking. But I can't do that. So I'm blogging instead. It's less effective. For one thing, I can't burn the religious institution of my choice. I can't get any loot to spend and everyone knows money makes you feel better. I can't even sacrifice anyone to Odin or throw anyone into a bog. I mean, let's face it, as going a-Viking goes, blogging isn't real effective. But it's all I got, so bear with me. If it makes you feel better, just imagine that a bunch of Vikings are burning your church and giving the monks and nuns and good time while they carry off all the gold.

Now that I think of it, I feel better already! Maybe blogging a-Viking isn't so bad after all!

5 comments:

Mrs Flam said...

52 ? I always figured you quite a bit younger . Guess I don't pay enough attention.

N. V. Andersen said...

Positive visualization goes a long way, and hey, nobody can file charges against you for imagining how your Viking ancestors would have reacted to this!

About the facebook chat problem - I got something similar on my old computer, but that seemed to be because the program somehow failed to work, not because somebody blocked it. I often wonder what the hell is going on with facebook, and I know people who've left if completely because any pictures uploaded on facebook is then property of facebook (very, very small print). I wish there was a better way of conveniently keeping in touch with friends abroad. :-(

Hrafnkell Haraldsson said...

Mrs Flam, yes, 52, sad to say! That is on the 10th. I just anticipated a bit :)

Hrafnkell Haraldsson said...

I'm not entirely happy with Facebook. I joined because one of the features I added to Heathen's Day allows instant posting of blog posts on Facebook which gives more possibility of traffic. I was surprised to see anybody I know there. On the other hand, I can keep track of people I hadn't seen or talked to in a while, which is kinda nice. As you say, I was there was a more convenient way!

Anonymous said...

Hrafnkell,

Aha! How I LOVED the image you created: Vikings giving the Christian clergy of Scandinavia a hell of a time!! Carrying away the gold and best of all demolishing the Churches. Thanks for making the statement.