twitter
    I've Gone-a-Viking; find out where!

Looking Upon a Troubled Vista

So Vista is every bit as bad as the Mac commercials say it is. I always laughed along with those commercials. They're clever and witty and the characters are likable. They're among the best commercials ever made in that they're actually enjoyable to watch (along with the commercials with the baby giving investment advice).

But now I see beyond the humor to the agony Vista users have experienced all this time. I should have waited another few days to the release of Windows 7 (October 22) but I thought, "how bad can it be?" I found out. Not easy to last a few days when those few days are making you want to throw the laptop through the nearest window.

Twice now it's gone back to its factory settings and twice I've installed my software and copied my files over from my desktop. It is difficult to figure out what is causing what problems but I never had this kind of trouble with XP, even with the same software installed. Which always leads me back to Vista.

Whoever was responsible for Vista should be strung up by his or her thumbs, and we should all of us who have dealt with it be reimbursed for the hours we've lost, hours we will never see again. It's more of a hoax than an operating system, after all, so criminal charges, I think, are warranted. Has their been a class action suit for fraud? If not, there should be. Vista purports to be an operating system; what it is is something quite different. It does not allow operation of a computer - it impedes operation of a computer. To the extent a Vista-loaded computer functions at all it functions despite, not because of Vista.

That's how bad Vista is.

I hope anyone even remotely tempted to get suckered into a sale at the last minute (like I was) waits just those few extra days. I'll have my free upgrade shortly after Vista comes out (can I hope for next-day shipping?) but that won't get me back my lost and wasted hours. I'm just glad I didn't do this when Vista came out.

Windows 7, you can't come soon enough.

0 comments: